talking about the past

Hello from Berlin! Hallo form Berlin!

Hemingway wrote about Michigan while sitting in a cafe in Paris. 'Maybe away from Paris I could write about Paris as in Paris I could write about Michigan. I did not know it was too early for that because I did not know Paris well enough.'

I've been reading this book about being a better writer and actively working to empty my brain completely onto paper. It reminded me about Hemingway and his travels in yesterday's chapter...and so today I wrote about Chicago : )

Anyways, I found this in my unpublished posts from my last night in Lima...

I realized that learning to speak spanish was a big goal of this trip, however this new language thing is so much more than just a language. Its communication. I feel as if I understand more about people in general, interaction, and how we present/percieve ourselves. I can see that my social relationships will be different after this. (Probably a big step before heading to Europe and then Asia huh?!) Speaking has become an activity for me, not just a tool, or afterthought. I catch myself now, exclaiming things in public, 'watch out', 'look at that', random things. Now its slower but it comes out intentionally. (or just twice, one for each : ) I've met so many people along this trip that I now think I could have gotten to know better if I would have talked slower, or less, or put more energy in to listen to the stories they were telling. Everytime I think that, or conciously slow down with someone, it comes to me next that I can do this with everyone. Slow down and listen harder, talk more intentionally. Natalia is a great person to watch do this, and now that I think if it my dad : )

and thats it for tonight : ) Sorry this post is all over the place but 'Love and War' has been on this whole time and I'm all unfocused and whatnot! More soon! (and I will include a photo of my new amazing neon green bike for you to drool over...)  Ciao! (they still say ciao here : ) -Linz

update!: it isn't 'ciao' its 'tschau'! (sounds like 'chews'...kinda. I probably still say it wrong.)

Comments