for ed from 'the fountainhead'

'If you want my advice you've made a big mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it? Not to know?'
-Roark to Peter

My brother saw this in a sketchbook of mine years ago and asked me to make him some art based on this before I go. So, thanks Ed, for bringing this back up...now, as I am slowly detaching myself from what I have known as 'the way of life' for the last 26 years.

The painting is turning into a comment on society vs. wilderness, the beautiful contrast between nature and machine; the juxtaposition of both and how one cannot exist without the other. One would not feel as good without the knowledge that the other is there. Going is the same as escaping. What we will gain is the same as what we have lost.

Some of my other favorite contrasts:

train tracks being swallowed back into the earth
bright orange peels on dirty grey city streets
the whites of plumes of factory smoke against the many whites of the sky
the exact moment when the suburbs give in to fields and farmhouses
listening vs speaking and speaking vs talking
a cage; who is in and who is out
love/home/comfort vs detachment
fearless emotion vs logic and planning
imagination vs reality (and how we never really know the difference.)

...anyways, thats what i've been thinking about these days... : )

Comments